We are pleased to offer for sale this 1997 Raoul Wallenberg 32 Cent US Postage Stamp MNH Sheet of 20 Scott #3135. Stamp Sheet Information
- Country: United States
- Stamp Name: Raoul Wallenberg (1912 - 1947)
- First Day Cover Issue Date: April 24, 1997
- Denomination: 32 Cent
- Scott Number: 3135 Raoul Wallenberg (1912 - 1947)
- Illustration Number: A2423 Raoul Wallenberg (1912 - 1947)
- Color: Multicolored
- Condition: MNH (Mint Never Hinged). Stamp Sheet is a stock photo. Plate positions may vary.
- Sheet Size: 20 stamps, 4 across 5 down
- History: Raoul Wallenberg (August 17, 1912 - July 17, 1947) was a Swedish architect, businessman, diplomat, and humanitarian. While serving as Sweden's special envoy in Budapest during the Holocaust, Wallenberg saved tens of thousands of Hungarian Jews. He issued "protective passports" which identified the bearers as Swedish subjects awaiting repatriation and thus prevented their deportation. These fake passports looked official enough that they were generally accepted by the authorities. Wallenberg also would bribe the authorities when necessary to save lives. He rented 32 buildings in Budapest and declared them to be extraterritorial, protected by diplomatic immunity. He put up signs such as "The Swedish Library" and "The Swedish Research Institute" on their doors and hung oversize Swedish flags on the front of the buildings to bolster the deception. The stamp features an image of Wallenberg on the phone with Jewish refugees in the background.
All of our stamp sheets ship in a Supersafe Mint Sheet Page for protection and display. We recommend Supersafe King Sized Binders to store all your Mint Sheet Pages. Supersafe King Sized Binders come in four colors: Black, Blue, Grey, and Red. We carry a huge selection of Stamp Collecting Supplies!
Check out our entire selection of Stamp Sheets!
MPN: Scott #3081