We are pleased to offer for sale this 2003 Southeastern Lighthouses 37 Cent US Postage Stamp Unused Sheet of 20 Scott #3787 - #3791.
Stamp Sheet Information:
Country: United States
Stamp Name: Southeastern Lighthouses
First Day Cover Issue Date: June 13th, 2003
Denomination: 37 Cents
+ Scott Numbers...- Scott Numbers
3787 Old Cape Henry, Virginia
3788 Cape Lookout, North Carolina
3789 Morris Island, South Carolina
3790 Tybee Island, Georgia
3791 Hillsboro Inlet, Florida
+ Illustration Numbers...- Illustration Numbers
A2893 Old Cape Henry, Virginia
A2894 Cape Lookout, North Carolina
A2895 Morris Island, South Carolina
A2896 Tybee Island, Georgia
A2897 Hillsboro Inlet, Florida
Condition: Unused. Stamp Sheet is a stock photo. Plate positions may vary.
Sheet Size: 20 stamps, 5 across, 4 down
History: The Southeastern Lighthouses stamp sheet is part of a series of sheets featuring lighthouses. There are five different lighthouses featured. The Cape Henry Lighthouse overlooking Chesapeake Bay was the first lighthouse authorized by the U.S. government in 1792. After being damaged by confederate forces during the Civil War, it was repaired by Union forces in 1863. Standing 163 feet high is the Cape Lookout Lighthouse located in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Completed in 1812, it is one of the few lighthouses that operates during the day. Unlike most lighthouses, the Morris Island Lighthouse of Charleston Harbor, South Carolina stands hundreds of feet offshore. Built by the Colony of South Carolina in 1767, it was turned over to the Federal Government in 1789. One of the seven remaining colonial era lighthouses is the Tybee Island Lighthouse located at the Savannah River Entrance of Tybee Island, Georgia. Originally made of wood, and heavily modified since, the original lighthouse was built in 1736. Marking the northern point of the Florida Reef is the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse. Due to the increased traffic between the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Fowey Rocks Lighthouse, Congress authorized the construction of this lighthouse in 1901.