In 1807 Mint Engraver John Reich's Capped Bust, Lettered Edge design replaced the Draped Bust design on the half dollar.
The obverse of the half dollar features Lady Liberty wearing a cap bearing the word 'LIBERTY' on the rim. She is surrounded by thirteen stars and the date is struck below her. The reverse features an eagle bearing a shield on its chest, and carrying arrows and an olive branch in its talons. Above the eagle, the words 'E PLURIBUS UNUM' appear within a scroll, and the legend 'UNITED STATES OF AMERICA' is written around it. The denomination '50 C.' appears below the eagle.
The image of Liberty was modified slightly from 1808 to 1809 and there are many different lettering styles within the type. The edge of the coin was lettered 'FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR'. There were minor variations to the lettering on the edge, from 1807- 1814 the phrase appeared without any additional features; from 1814 - 1831 a star was added between DOLLAR and FIFTY; and finally, from 1832 - 1836 vertical lines appeared between the words. In 1836 the Mint began using closed collars rather than open. As a result, the edge of the Capped Bust Half Dollar went from lettered to reeded. The Capped Bust Half Dollar was replaced by the Liberty Seated Half Dollar in 1839.