The Coinage Act of 1890 required that each coin design be in production for a minimum of 25 years. In 1915, U.S. Mint Director Robert W. Woolley misinterpreted the act and determined that no coin design could stay in production
for more than 25 years. Determined that he must replace the Barber Half Dollar, as it had been in production for almost 25 years, Mr. Woolley requested and was granted permission to redesign the half dollar, as well as the dime and the quarter dollar.
German born sculptor Adolph Weinman won a competition among a limited group of artists for the new designs and was commissioned for both the new dime and half-dollar. The figure of Liberty is, in his own words,
"progressing in full stride toward the dawn of a new day, carrying branches of laurel and oak, symbolic of civil and military glory."
On the reverse side is the image of an eagle meant to represent fearlessness and power. Beneath the tips of the eagle's wings is Weinman's monogram of AW.
On all 1916 coins and some 1917 coins the mintmark can be found on the obverse side below the motto IN GOD WE TRUST. On some 1917 issues and all subsequent issues, the mintmark is found on the reverse, to the left of the words HALF DOLLAR.
Many collectors and numismatics believe this half dollar to be one of the most exquisite silver coins to be issued from the U.S. Mint.
Walking Liberty Half Dollars were issued by the Philadelphia, Denver and, San Francisco Mints.